Thursday, July 17, 2008

Elmo 1st Birthday Cake

Here's a cake I made for the 1st Birthday "Smash" Cake for the grandson of a family friend. I think it turned out really cute! I used Wilton's Elmo face cake pan and decorated it w/ tip #233 (hair/grass tip) instead of stars... I love the effect! It looks like Elmo really has fur!


The colors were a little challenging to get... for the black - I started w/ chocolate buttercream and still had to add quite a bit of black icing color to get it right... for the orange and red - I used my daughter's Elmo as a guide... but it took a while to get the color just right... The orange is mostly orange w/ a little bit of no taste red added... The red is half/half Christmas red and no taste red w/ some orange added.... The red icing colors had a pinkish look to them until the orange was added.

A few things I would do differently... I wouldn't try to smooth the mouth, eyes and nose w/ my finger dipped in cornstarch and/or a dampened decorators brush as recommended in the instructions. The buttercream was soft from the heat and humidity so next time, I would put the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes or so to let it get a little hard and then smooth w/ my finger... any longer than that in the fridge and it gets too hard to smooth... but live and learn... I'm planning on doing this cake again later this year for my daughter's second birthday...

We go to the party today... can't wait to see their reaction! I know my little girl loved it!

No comments: