Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Good Luck Cake

One of my husbands work friends is getting a new job. So I made a cake for him to take to work. Yellow cake w/ Wilton's Chocolate Buttercream frosting (tastes really yummy - way better than the class buttercream frosting - and was easy to work with! - although not as stiff as the class buttercream... I did add the meringue powder that is in the Class Buttercream recipe...) I also filled the cake w/ the chocolate frosting as well. (Tip for making frosting - it's tons easier to weigh your Crisco vs. measuring... less cleanup... just lay some wax paper on a kitchen scale and weigh it... 1 cup of Crisco weighs 6 oz.)

For the writing and dots (tip #3) I thinned the chocolate frosting with milk and added icing colors - lemon yellow and leaf green (tons of both) - and some piping gel. It is a deep emerald or hunter green and almost looks metallic (not sure why... but it's a neat affect!) To get uniform looking letters, I used the block message set that my friend just gave me - it worked really well and was WAY easier than writing freehand! (Thanks again Jodi!)

I think the end result ended up looking pretty nice.


Close up of the dots on the side...


(btw... my husband said everyone loved the cake... he said I also got lots of comments on my "steady hand" for the letters and dots :-) He kept my secret and didn't tell them that I "cheated" on the letters! Hee... Hee... Hee...)

No comments: